Thursday 5 February 2015

The Spiralizer

When I started this blog, a friend (Thanks, Tamara!) suggested I look into this kitchen gadget called a spiralizer. After she explained to me what it was, I decided it would be a good device to own - especially as I could live off pasta. 


So after looking at a few different types we settled on one that was small enough to keep in a draw and that my mum found aesthetically pleasing. As you can see below, it's a simple device that you can stick your vegetables in and just turn them as if you were sharpening them. It comes with a brush to help clean out the bits that get stuck in the middle. The small round object with the spikes is for when you reach the end of your chosen vegetable and need to keep going without getting your fingers in the way.  



So what does it do? Well the spiralizer grates your veg into spaghetti like shapes. I tested it with a courgette and sweet potato and found the courgette really easy to do but the sweet potato was naturally much harder. I was still quite impressed with the shapes I got from both vegetables. 

It isn't the easiest thing to clean as the food can get stuck in the blades and it's a bit hard to get out but other than that no real problem with keeping it clean. 



It's a great idea if you want to make a healthier alternative to pasta and I look forward to posting the recipes I make using my spiralizer. 

It's not very expensive at £15.97 on Amazon and it's a great way to be more creative with your meals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment